Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Renkon!!

What is renkon, you ask? Well, it's typically called lotus root in English. It's the root of a water lily and is brown-skinned with a hollow, chambered inside (see a picture from the Asia Food Glossary; see description from Wikipedia.com). It's used in Japanese cooking frequently and I've grown up eating it a lot of it.

My mom would usually stir-fry it with sugar, soy sauce and mirin combination. I wanted to try something different, so I googled some recipes in English and Japanese. Of course, I didn't come across many in English. I had a few Japanese recipes lined up before this recipe from eGullet.org caught my eye.

This recipe wasn't clear and didn't specify some things. First of all, I didn't know how long to boil the renkon. I just boiled the renkon for about 6 or 7 minutes. Also, I wasn't sure I did the batter exactly right since there was no exact amount specified for water. I think I made the batter too thinned out with water.

Nonetheless, I have to say that this dish turned out pretty well. The renkon was crunchy and and the meat filling was juicy. I didn't bother to make a sauce and just served with lemon wedges.

I also made some spinach salad with crispy bacon pieces and chickpeas. For the dressing, I made the honey mustard recipe from Joy of Cooking. I love the combination of spinach, crunchy bacon and honey-mustard dressing. The chickpeas also add another layer of texture and flavor.

I also took some thin pieces of renkon and fried them to make renkon chips. They're delicious with a sprinkle of salt. I thought it would be a nice garnish to my salad. I love the interesting pattern of the cross-section of a renkon. It tastes and looks great. Tonight's dinner was crunchy and delicious!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice photographs!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home