Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Monday, April 17, 2006

Scallops with lemon and thyme in parchment paper / Eringi mushroom risotto

I have to admit that I "dvr" Martha Stewart's daytime TV talk/cooking show. Zack thinks that ALL daytime television is 100 percent bonafide crap, but I really like watching her show for the cooking segments. She has been having cooking lessons for about the last month on everything from how to make a paillard to how to cook en papillote, or in parchment paper (see Martha's website). So, I've been wanting to make something in parchment paper since March 24.

I stopped by Treasure Island after work to check out the seafood selection. I originally wanted to cook fish but nothing looked enticing. The scallops looked gorgeous, however, so I decided to get those for cooking in parchment paper. I also wanted to use the eringi mushrooms that I bought at Mitsuwa the other day, so I picked up some Arborio rice and chicken broth to make mushroom risotto.

I started making the mushroom risotto using the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen website. As usual, I didn't follow the recipe exactly. For instance, I didn't have any white wine so I substituted with water (yes, I know... blasphemy!!). I also added a touch of mirin, which seemed a bit strange to me but then again, this recipe calls for soy sauce. Mirin and soy sauce are like peas and carrots. They just go together. I also didn't tie the herb sprigs with kitchen twine, but the broth was strained anyways so what's the point? Well, there was one little problem. I asked Zack to strain the broth mixture and he started pouring it through the strainer and down the drain! He blanked out and got confused that you're not actually getting rid of the liquid (like he's used to doing for pasta). Well, we lost half of our broth but I made it work.

The scallops were a hundred times easier because I lined some sliced lemon and thyme sprigs on top of parchment paper and then placed the scallops right on top. I sprinkled them with salt and pepper and folded the edges to make a tight seal. I put them on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 13 minutes. Piece of cake!

There you have it. Coquilles Saint Jacques en Papillote (scallops in parchment paper) and Risotto con Funghi (mushroom risotto). A little bit of French and a little bit of Italian. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home