Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Cornflake-crusted chicken with cornmeal biscuits and green bean salad

Zack and I met up with Will and Fred to visit the Chapel of St. James, Quigley Preparatory Seminary. They have the chapel open to the public for viewing the stained-glass windows. It was a cloudy day so there wasn't much light shining through the windows but they were very beautiful. It's was nice just to sit and look at all the detailed scenes and designs. We went out to lunch at Corner Bakery and started thinking about dinner right after lunch.

While working out this morning, I was watching Paula Deen's show on the Food Network and she was cooking country fried steak with biscuits and gravy. It looked good but it seemed really heavy and fattening. So, here's my alternative: cornflake-crusted baked drumsticks with cornmeal biscuits and green bean salad.

Fred made these yummy cornmeal drop biscuits. I snuck one before dinner while the chicken was cooking. So good.
I think I overcooked the green beans but the garlic-ginger dressing with toasted almonds and cilantro was delicious. Instead of tamari, I used soy sauce. my mom has made variations of this dressing my entire life, so this is a very familiar and satisfying flavor.

The drumsticks were really simple but had to be delayed because the black peppercorns that we just bought was missing and Zack and Will had to go get another one. Crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Just perfect.

For dessert, I made tres leches cake. I actually started the dessert before I started with dinner. Making the sponge cake went smoothly and I had Will and Zack take care of skimming off the skin of the cake and pouring the three milks evenly on to the cake. I didn't have any mint and didn't bother to buy heavy cream for a whipped cream garnish. So, I used lime slices instead.

This dessert was so moist and sweet that I had to go for seconds. I only had it soaking in the fridge for about an hour so I'm sure it'll be even better tomorrow after soaking overnight. I can't wait!

Just look at the spongy cake soaked in tres leches! It doesn't get any better than this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my goodness...that looks like a lil piece of heaven...please make this for my on my birthday! thanks! love ur lil sis, Haruka

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home