Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Usagi Ya

On a very rainy Chicago night, Zack and I tried out Usagi-Ya because one of my managers from work recommended the place. The decor was trendy and modern. We were seated at one of the "two platform-style pillow-stuffed tea rooms" as described in metromix.com.

Ever since my bad experience at Tsunami (see my March 31, 2006 post), I've been skeptical about trendy new sushi bars that serve flashy and over-the-top rolls and traditional sushi that tastes subpar. I'm not claiming to being an expert on sushi by any means, but I'd like to think that I know a thing or two. I probably tell everyone this but the best sushi I've had was in Tokyo near Tsukiji Market, one of the largest fish markets in the world.

Here's our order at Usagi-Ya:
  • Beef Tataki
  • Tempura Udon
  • Negi-Hamachi Maki
  • Ikura Nigiri
  • Anago Nigiri
  • Amaebi Nigiri (wih fried shrimp heads)
  • "Summer" Maki (tuna, yellowtail, cilantro, avocado, chili oil, spicy sauce, and lime juice)
  • "Salmon Skin" Maki (grilled salmon skin, cucumber, yamagobo, and radish sprout)
Everything tasted great and I was assured that this place actually has good sushi. While the beef tataki and summer roll were delicious, my favorite piece was the amaebi with the fried shrimp heads that came with it. It was so good that I ended up eating both mine and Zack's. However, I was not sure that what I got was actually amaebi because I have always had it with two tiny shrimp side-by-side (see example picture). I would like to go back there but not before trying out some other sushi spots in Chicago.

Usagi Ya
1178 N Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 292-5885

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home