Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cafe Selmarie

Last Saturday, Zack's parents Doug and Sheila were in town because Zack's older sister Kari graduated from the University of Chicago's School of Social Service Administration on Friday. It also happened to be Kari's birthday. Congratulations and happy birthday, Kari!

It was a really nice day because we went on the Wendella Boats tour along the Chicago River and then to a cute cafe in Lincoln Scquare called Cafe Selmarie for a birthday celebration lunch. It was my first time on the boat tour and I thought it was great! I learned so many things that I didn't know about the city and the buildings (like the fact that every building is being converted into condos... where are the rest of us apartment renters supposed to live, huh?). It also gave me a completely different perspective of the city.

For lunch, I suggested a few places to everyone, including HB, A Hearty Boys Spot. We finally decided to go there but they were closed for a private party when I called to make reservations. So, our second choice was Cafe Selmarie.

It had a cozy and warm atmosphere and it has a bakery counter at the front of the place full of cookies, cakes, and pastries. For lunch, I had the salmon gravlax baguette which consisted of salmon cured with citrus zest, cracked coriander, and dill on french baguette with watercress, capers, red onions and créme fraîche. What a perfect lunch!!

Of course, since we were celebrating Kari's birthday, we had to have some dessert from the bakery. I can never resist bakeries!! We all shared the raspberry custard tart, the raspberry chocolate tart, the bread pudding, and the German chocolate cake. The raspberry tarts were good but the bread pudding was out of this world. You have to try it!!

After lunch, we stopped by our apartment so that Doug and Sheila could pick up some luggage and be on their way home. Prior to visiting Chicago, they had been traveling around Spain and seeing Zack's younger sister Melissa. They brought back some gifts and they got me a paella pan. I'm really excited to attempt my first paella dish soon. Thank you so much, Doug and Sheila! I also appreciate you taking me out to dinner (the night before at Cafe Bolero) and lunch.

Cafe Selmarie
4729 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 989-5595

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home