Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Lattice-Topped Rhubarb Pie

I made rhubarb pie for dessert but we actually ended up eating some Skinny Cow cookies 'n cream ice cream sandwiches instead. It really takes a lot of time to make a pie! I used the all-rhubarb pie recipe from the cookbook Pie. It's similar to this Epicurious.com recipe except without the strawberries.

First, I made some pie crust dough with my handy dandy food processor, formed it into two disks and chilled them in the fridge.

Then, I sliced a couple stalks of rhubarb.

I mixed the rhubarb, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, salt and nutmeg together and let it sit for 30 minutes.

After rolling out the chilled dough, I formed the crust and filled the pie dish with the rhubarb mixture.

Then, I rolled out more dough to make pieces to make the lattice crust on top. I pinched the ends together with the bottom crust.

I brushed the top with heavy cream and sprinkled lightly with sugar. I popped this baby in the oven. An hour later, you get a perfectly baked pie!

A buttery sweet smell filled the entire apartment. I could see the filling bubbling when I took it out of the oven. The cookbook instructs you to let the pie rest for three hours. We couldn't wait for the pie to cool so that's why ate the ice cream sandwiches.

We did have a little taste test and it was out of this world. Okay, this is actually my first time to taste rhubarb. The first time I heard of this strange rhizome was in grade school when my friend offered me a piece of rhubarb pie. I had absolutely no idea what it was and chickened out of trying it. So, I have no basis for comparison, but I do know that the pie tasted good. The rhubarb was so soft and tangy. I thought the recipe called for a lot of sugar but it really brings out the flavor of the rhubarb and didn't make the pie too sweet. Delicious!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Beautiful. Such an artist. Let's open a restaurant! Ayaka

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty impressive. though...you know only white people eat rhubarb, right? -stan

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home