The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating.
When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"
I can't get enough hummus!
I called Zack after I finished working out and I asked him, "What do you want to do for dinner?" like I do every night. He always answers, "Let's figure it out when you get home" and tonight was no exception. Of course, we never figure it out when I get home and we always end up going to the grocery store hungry and without a plan. That's exactly how things went down tonight. Zack said, "We'll browse and figure it out when we get there."
We walk into Jewel. I picked up a loaf of French bread. Then we walked by some hummus. That's when it hits me! Hummus!! That's one of the reasons I bought my food processor. To make things like hummus. So, I bought some lemons and chickpeas. I couldn't find tahini (or sesame seed paste) there, but was able to find it at Treasure Island. I knew they wouldn't fail me in my time of need.
I got the simple recipe from the Joy of Cooking. I love how easy hummus is to make and how good it tastes. I cut up some cucumbers and radishes to dip into the hummus. I also sliced some French bread for dipping. Yes, yes, I should have bought some pita bread but I really like eating hummus with French bread. Call me crazy! I'll admit that it's not much of a dinner but I could keep eating hummus forever. Very satisfying.
2 Comments:
I couldn't work out why some store bought hommus was smoother than I made myself, til a friend inducted me into "secret chickpea skinning business" :) It's time consuming but worth skinning the outer layer of the bean off by hand before processing.
I make my hummus with sesame oil instead of tahini now, which is much cheaper. Of course, the flavor is a little different, but I really like it!
Here's my recipe if you're interested:
http://www.afoodyear.com/2006/03/16/hummus
Post a Comment
<< Home