Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Egg salad sandwich

I had a craving for hard-boiled eggs. So for lunch, I made an egg salad sandwich.

I don't know if this is my very first time boiling eggs but I can't remember the last time that I did. I tried carefully lowering eggs into simmering water but the level of water was too high and the egg just dropped straight to the bottom and cracked. I tried again with the second egg, but the same thing happened. Yeah, I'm a quick learner. I finally came to my senses and lowered two more eggs into the water with tongs.

The cracked eggs turned out fine and one of the eggs I didn't crack actually busted open in the hot water. According to the Joy of Cooking, some cooks prick a small hole in the ends of the eggshells to prevent the shell from cracking. I figured this isn't really necessary.

Besides boiling the eggs just right, the recipe is simple. Here's my version of an egg salad sandwich.

In a bowl, add and stir well to combine:

4 eggs, hard-boiled and diced
1/2 shallot, minced
1 carrot, finely diced
2 pieces of bacon, baked until crispy and chopped
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons hummus

Place between two pieces of toasted bread and enjoy!! This was absolutely delicious and easy to make.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sayaka, I wanted to invite you to participate in "Konnyaku Day" on 5/29. I'm not sure if you are fond of konnyaku, but if you do like it, please make something with konnyaku and post it to your blog on or close to 5/29, then let me know and I'll round up the participants.

WaFooD: Konnyaku Day

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your photography skills are obscenely good. not in the violation of decency sense, but more in the incitement of lust one.

i just needed to get that off my chest.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss sayaka!!!! you are funny. Youre a genuis but can't seem to prevent eggs from cracking when you boil them? Okay next time boil the water rapidly, then turn off the heat, put the eggs in and leave them for about 10-15 minutes. They'll be perfectly boiled and wont bust open on you without having to prick holes either. Love ya, Ayaka. And I totally agree about the photography...you should get a weekend job as a photographer for a cuisine magazine. Oooh lala

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home