Patiently pulsing parsley pesto with processor
I ordered the Cuisinart Pro Classic food processor on Sunday from Amazon.com and my shipment arrived this morning! I just used the free "super saver" shipping which they claim takes five to nine business days and it arrived in TWO business days. Amazon.com is amazing!
I decided to break in my new food processor by making pesto. Zack requested a dish with shrimp so we looked through my favorite all-purpose cookbook The Joy of Cooking. We came across a recipe with both shrimp and pesto. To be precise, it was recipe for parsley pesto. We just happened to have plenty of that handy because we made meatballs the other day.
The only ingredient missing was shrimp. Before going to the grocery store, Zack and I decided to take a walk along the lakeshore because we were having another gorgeous day. By the time we got to the grocery store, the fresh meat/seafood counter was closed. I was forced to buy a bag full of frozen shrimp... buy one, get one free at least.
It wasn't one of the smoothest nights of cooking I've had. It was my first time assembling and using a food processor plus I've never made pesto before. Zack actually put the machine together and got it working. While he was messing around with that, I was taking the shells off of the shrimp and deveining them. To be honest, it looked like it was already deveined on the backside of the shrimp but I "deveined" the underside of the shrimp (where the legs are). There seemed to be a vein there, bu I have no idea whether I should be getting rid of this or I'm just wasting my time. Can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to be doing this?
I eventually got it to work. I tossed the pesto and some cooked linguini together and added the cooked shrimp. The dish turned out well, but I think that I'm so conditioned to eating the basil pesto that I half expected it to taste similar even though I know that basil and parsley are completely different. It's just a matter of overcoming my misconception that pesto = basil pesto.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home