Oishii Ringo

The title of this blog "oishii ringo" means delicious apple in Japanese. This is a little blog about food, cooking and eating. When it comes right down to it, don't get in between a girl and her food. "LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!!"

Sunday, April 09, 2006

French toast, anyone?

Here's the thing: they don't sell half-and-half in sizes less than a pint and I had plenty left over from the other day when I made the quiche. So, I decided to make french toast. I got the recipe from Simply Recipes, but I halved the recipe since I only need two servings and I don't want to end up with anymore leftovers (yes, I still have some spinach lasagna and quiche leftover.)

Ok. I didn't have Triple Sec, an orange or fresh berries, but I did have half a grapefruit. And of course, I replaced the milk with half-and-half. First of all, I didn't nearly put as much as one grapefruit's worth of zest in the batter, so I didn't taste it at all. I also used day-old French bread as well as 12 grain bread which I don't think is typically used for French toast. It didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I'll have to get my hands on some Triple Sec for next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Sayaka, there is a huge difference between grapefruit zest and orange zest. That's probably why it didn't taste so great. Orange zest is a must have. Triple Sec if you can get it, but the orange zest is not optional.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Shonda said...

Elise, I knew that orange zest tastes completely different that grapefruit, but I thought I would give it a try anyways. I learned my lesson. Grapefruits are way too bitter for using as zest. There has to be times where one would use grapefruit zest, no? Btw, would you recommend a certain brand of Triple Sec over another?

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home