Tsunami was a disaster!
When I came from work on Friday night, my bf Zack hadn't come home yet and I was on the verge of falling asleep due to a late night out the night before and lack of sleep this week largely due to my new-found obssession with blogging. Zack called from campus asking if I wanted to go out for a dinner and a movie. I shot down his movie idea but we decided to go out to dinner somewhere. Like I mentioned in my "India Garden" post, I've been wanting to try this sushi restaurant near our apartment called Tsunami for a while now.
When we got there, the place was virtually empty. This is usually not a good sign, but we pressed on. The place has a nice atmosphere and trendy decor, but it's pretty much all they had. We started off with some Asahi Super Dry beer and ordered the Kani-Su appetizer. Even though the rest of the salad was good, the crab smelled and tasted fishy which ruined the entire dish. We managed to gulp it down anyways and waited for our entrees. Zack order the Shrimp Tempura Udon Noodles and I ordered a couple varieties of sushi, including amaebi (sweet shrimp), uni and unagi (freshwater eel) nigiris and the "Tsunami", negi toro (scallions and fatty tuna) and futo (different fresh and pickled vegetables) makis. The unagi and uni were decent, but the rest of it was subpar. Their signature maki roll wasn't very tasty, the negi toro didn't seem like it actually contained fatty tuna (or maybe tuna that barely passes as being "toro" or fatty), and the waitress got my order wrong for the futo maki by bring their vegetarian version. Worst of all, the amaebi made me lose my appetite. I had a small bite of it and the shrimp had a very bitter and fishy taste. I was reaching for my glass of Asahi faster than lightning. I seriously think they used the wrong kind of shrimp because the amaebi shrimp are usually smaller so they put two on top of one nigiri (see link above for amaebi).
Don't even get me started on Zack's dish. His udon was overcooked and the vegetables use for tempura, while light and crunchy, were not typical vegetables that are used for tempura. Even Zack, who usually isn't too picky about the quality of food he eats, was complaining about the noodles. The one redeeming part of the night was when I ordered the plum wine sorbet. It wasn't spectacular by any means but had good flavor and washed away the bad taste in my mouth. Overall, the food was overpriced for the quality of food and I had a terrible experience at Tsunami. I will never go back there again.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home